Friday 17 April 2009

Clement Freud............made me cry......

i can still remember the day as a young kid of 8 years old,on the Rowley Mile at Newmarket, my Dad was standing up in Tatts and in between races i would collect autographs on my Racecard........ my hall of fame would read Lester, Willie Carson, Brian Taylor, Greville Starkey, Tony Murray, Ernie Johnson, Eddie Hide etc etc and they would gladly sign my racecard, then i spotted Clement Freud who i knew from my dads band on the run album and the advert with Henry the dog, so i strolled up to him and politely asked Clement to sign my racecard, he said to me in a rather stern manner ........." i dont sign autographs" at that time my whole little world crumbled around me as i felt so embarressed and felt the world and their uncles were laughing at me !!! i ran back to my dads balling my eyes out !! who quickly put me at ease by laughing !!! Dad told me Clement was a quirky gentleman and that it was not a personal attack on me, although i took some persuading an ice cream cleared my tears !! I never took this knock back personally and in later years i thoroughly enjoyed his articles especially on a Saturday in the post, a character that will be missed throughout the racing world and beyond.

THURSDAY

SPORTS BETTING

Hamburg DRAW NO BET £100 @ 2.92 lost -£100

1 comment:

TO said...

Yes, he was a well respected man around the fens and east anglia. A man who many will miss.